Tuesday, March 9, 2010

DRJ #2: Hamlet, Act II

I enjoyed Act II a lot because this is the Act where alternative conflicts start to happen, like Hamlet’s fight within himself. Hamlet starts moving along and writes his play and he starts to act curiously weird around everyone else. His deceitful suspicions are tending to grow rapidly at this point of the piece.
After seeing the ghost, Hamlet’s sanity is at question. I don’t think he is insane, but having a lot of questions and no answers would get extremely frustrating. The traumatic events that have been happening to Hamlet and his willingness to resolve problems suggest that he is still healthy enough to figure them out. Although revenge eventually took him over, everything he thought was right vanished.
I believe the theme of Act II is deception. Hamlet’s secret ambitions and personal quests are at everyone else's expense. The deception starts to thrive with all the secret endeavors like when Hamlet starts to act a different way in front of other people, and all the spying that’s circulating.

No comments:

Post a Comment