Tuesday, March 2, 2010

DRJ #1: Hamlet, Act I

Initial Reaction: In the first Act, I see some resemblance between my cousin Eli and the character Francisco. Both Eli and Francisco have a protecting role, while still feeling suspicious. The situation where Horatio tries to decipher what the ghost means seems to happen in a lot of movies today. “Hamlet, Prince of Denmark” paved the way for a lot of storytelling.
Character Analysis: After reading about Francisco, although he is a guard, a protective and forceful position, he still has his own suspicions and opinions. 1) I thought Francisco has some characteristics of a tragic hero, but is not the tragic hero for this play. His suspicious could be his fatal flaw. 2) If Francisco’s fatal flaw is his suspicion, then he would have caused the conflict intentionally because he likes to share his opinions with people he is comfortable with. 3) I think Francisco as a character in the play is being used to instigate the whole beginning of the story.
Theme Analysis: The unnatural forces in the first act are introduced in Scene V where the Ghost of King Hamlet speaks to Prince Hamlet, “My hour is almost come, When I to sulphurous and tormenting flames Must render up myself.” Even though Francisco was surprised by the ghost, Horatio and Hamlet aren’t afraid of the natural forces that are evident, which may mean that some of the unnatural forces are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment