Friday, February 5, 2010

SSRJ#3: Colette

After reading this piece by Colette, I felt amused. I enjoyed the different style of storytelling I was reading. Reading about a young wife's reactions to her husbands sleepy hand was funny; especially when she would just say "Oh!" I have, indeed, stayed up for a brief moment in the middle of the night to let my feelings sink in and take everything in like the young wife did.

I thought Colette might have put in some symbolism in her writing. Using the husband's hand as the newlywed's relationship. The young wife seems mostly surprised at how her husband's hand looks, which she has never noticed before. The wife probably jumped into her marriage quickly without much consequences, and then in the end learning to live with her decisions. Even though they don't know a whole lot about each other, it seems like they are willing to learn.

Has anyone ever caught someone watching them sleep?

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you were able to just enjoy the story, for me it was a bit more disturbing. I agree that her likeness of the hand is symbolism for everything she didn't know about her new husband. I liked how you likened to her processing her decisions and learning to deal with the consequences of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you were able to laugh at this story, for me it made my opinion of young newlywed couples go down a few points. I just don't understand how you could rush into something so permanent as marriage without even bothering to get to know your spouse first. Granted there are always things that you will find out about each other as you grow, but to just rush into it blind? A marriage based on infatuation? It made me a little disappointed in humanity to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have caught someone watching me sleep a couple of times. It was creepy when I wasn't really into the person and kinda cute when I was into the person. I think that since she was so infatuated with him and excited, she couldn't keep her eyes off of him in the begining of the story. I like that you found the story funny. It is always great to find humor.

    ReplyDelete